What Will I Learn?
Today, we’re going to talk about How to Remove Oil Stains From Concrete using Coke, and other options.
We have all been there. We are busy working on our car and after a few hours see a lot of oil spilled on the garage floor.
But before we even talk about cleaning oil up, it’s worth mentioning that it’s better to try and prevent spills from happening in the first place. For example, if you’re changing your oil, use the right kind of device to catch the oil drips!
Okay, back to what to do if you just couldn’t prevent the oil stain to begin with.
When oil drips from your car on to your garage floor or your driveway, it can tarnish the look. But getting rid of the stains is very easy with some coke.
Just pour a few cans of coke on the stain. Make sure that the coke is at room temperature. Let the coke settle in for about 12-14 hours. Later you can blot it with some old towels.
There is acid in the coke and it will loosen the stains so that you can easily wash it away.
Another way of doing it is:
- Step 1: You can first pour cat litter on the stains. Allow the litter to soak the grease of the oil for about half an hour. Later shovel away the cat litter and throw it out.
- Step 2: Now you can pour one can of Coca Cola on the area that is stained. Use a nylon scrub brush to remove the strain. If the floor is made of concrete then don’t use a wire brush.
- Step 3: Allow the coke to stay on the oil stain for half an hour.
- Step 4: Make a mixture of 1/4 cup liquid bleach, 1/2 cup laundry soap, and about 1 gallon of clean water. You can mix it in a plastic bucket.
- Step 5: You can now dip a mop into the mixture. Make sure that you use gloves. Wring out any excess mixture.
- Step 6: Use the mop on the coke. In case there are still stains present, use the same process again until the stains go away.
Best Way to Clean Oil Spill In Garage
The best and easiest way to remove an oil spill from your garage is to use granular coconut coir to absorb the oil. You can also pour it around the stain so that the oil won’t spread.
Another easy way is to squirt dish soap all over the oil stain. This may still leave a light stain on the concrete.
You can also try to add hot water. Mix the dish soap with hot water. Then spread it over the stain. Brush the mixture well over the stain. Then scrub well. This will drive the soap deep into the oil stain. You can use a stiff brush but don’t use a wire brush.
Let the soap water soak on the oil for about an hour. Use kitty litter to absorb the dirty soap mixture. You can blot the sponge or the paper towel directly on the soapy water. This way you can directly remove the water. If the soap has got hard, you can add a little bit of hot water to it. This will soften it.
How to Remove Oil Stains From Concrete Using Baking Soda
Another great way to remove oil stains from concrete is to do so using baking soda. You first need to dampen the area with water. The water lifts the oil from the surface. You can then generously sprinkle baking soda on the area. Make sure that the baking soda covers the oil stain completely. Now boil a pot of water. While the pot of water is boiling, the soda gets time to work on the stain. Once the water is boiling, pour the water on the baking soda. Don’t pour it completely. Just make sure that it is enough to make it into a thin paste.
Now you can scrub the stain with a hard brush. It is better if you use a plastic one.
Once you have brushed the stain completely, you can pour the remaining water on the stain to wash off the baking soda that remains. You can keep this up until the stain goes away completely.
How to Clean Garage Floor After Winter
During winter, due to slush, salt, and snow, your garage floor tends to get messy. But you don’t have to worry. It is very easy to clean up your garage floor even during winter.
Want to know how?
Let’s get started:
- Use a Squeegee. It is easier to use than a shovel and much more efficient when it comes to cleaning your garage.
- Use garage mats: when it comes to the floor of your garage, using snow mats is a great option. It is the quickest and easiest way to protect the garage floor in a cost-effective manner. You can either place these mats under the cars or on the whole garage floor depending on your budget.
The mats are very easy to clean. When winter ends, all you have to do is roll them up and store them for next winter.
You can also check this excellent Youtube video below:
Garage Floor Cleaner Degreaser
You can also use a garage floor cleaner/degreaser if you want to make sure that the stains go away. These degreasers are specially made to remove grease and oil stains. Rava Oil and grease cutter is a good degreaser on the market. It is a multi-purpose degreaser which you can use in the garage and in your kitchen. You can also make a natural degreaser.
Concrete Floor Cleaner Machine
Another excellent way to make sure that the floor of your garage is clean is to use a concrete floor cleaner machine. This machine helps you to clean and scrub the garage easily. It will also help you to polish the floor. You can use it on your garage floor, on wood, cement, tile or carpet. It works well on anything that needs a light cleaning. The machine is only 7 pounds in weight so you can carry it easily to the garage or even out to your driveway. The concrete floor cleaner machine has a foot activated release pedal. This allows your hands to be free while you can switch the power on or off with your foot. It comes with 2-Carpet Bonnets, 2-Washable Microfiber Pads, and 2-Felt Buffing Pads.
Be sure to also check out my other posts on cleaning your garage: